Saturday, July 11, 2020

House renovations

House renovations have taken place. I offer the following observations.

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that electricians leave tiny red, and black, plastic insulation tubes 25.4mm long all over the place. Jane Austen didn't but that may be ascribed to the want of red and black plastic two hundred years ago. (Acknowledge, not leave.) These pieces will be found in wayward corners for the next three years. Similar snippings of green-and-yellow plastic commonly but not always contain copper wire.

2. When a tradesman uses your hand-towel to wrap discarded glassfibre batts, it is better to reflect on the progress of the renovations than where to dump his bludgeoned body.

3. A plasterer flinging a bucket of white stuff into a bush does not enhance the appearance of the garden. He will only dispose of it carefully if you watch. There seems no connection in his mind between deed and evidence.

4.  I am informed by the builder that the plural of Tim-Tam is Tim-Tam. He equates Tim-Tam with sheep and deer, both of which congregate in herds. I do not take a position on this matter and shall refer it to the Doctors of Linguistics in my family, of whom there appear to be an ever-increasing number. Until the etymology is elucidated by the biscuit manufacturer Arnott's (sic.) I'll stick with the natural plural. In the meantime I shall test the builder's resolve by feeding him Tim-Tams (sic.) at smoko (sic.) and see if he continues to take, when offered, another one.

5. You may feel that moving furniture into the garage is a pleasurable way of spending your birthday. I do not share this view. 

6. Your chances of successfully tidying up are greatly enhanced by starting. They are diminished if you merely contemplate how much there is to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr Larrington said...

I could ask Professor Larrington about Tim-Tam(s) but she'd probably just look at me askance and ask me whether I'd started drinking again.

September 3, 2020 at 4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home