Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fairing begins

It has now been established


1. that I know Everything and


2. that Bob Knight knows Absolutely Nothing Whatsoever and so he has to consult me, always, to find out what to do next.



Accordingly I guided him smoothly onto the next stage by sending him a Fantastick Pickchure of how I'm building my own fairing, which of course will be much better than his. My fairings are always of foam, because foam is stretchy and bendable and silent and protective in a fall and cheap (the stuff blows out of apple crates and litters the roadside in 4x8 sheets) and they are always incredibly beautiful. Well, more beautiful than Paul Lowing's tailboxes.









My technique this time is to use a cruddy old mount and jam a sheet of cardboard (bike box) on it and then glue thin strips of cedar to blocks of willow and thereby make a 3D mount which weighs nothing.




Mr Knight is entranced and impressed by this technique, which he has only ever used a great many times when a schoolboy to make model aeroplanes. Accordingly:




Attached photo is of tonight's work As you can see the big effort at the moment is to get the dimensions correct around the feet. I'm going to extend the top bit to include my knees and trim a bit off so I can ride it down the street and check clearance; so far so good. I think effort spent on this now will be tres beneficial since it will prevent rework later. I can *just* start off in the lowest gear with the 'normous chainring. I will need to do this a few times I think. - Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home